Friday, March 21, 2008

Arrrrrrrgggh

So recently I found this website through a friend called www.geocaching.com. It’s a global treasure hunt that can keep you connected to people all over the world. It sounded interesting so I decided to try it with a few friends last Saturday night.

All you do is go on the website, create a free account, and after you find the guidelines to your neighborhood, use your GPS navigation system to punch in the coordinates to the general area where your treasure can be found. Then, you follow the clues and the list of materials needed to find the treasure. If you find the treasure, you sign your name in the container the treasure is in, and leave your mark on the game.

The treasure you find, also isn't real "treasure" at all. Its basically cheap toys, fake tattoo's... you know, stupid stuff. but it's excited none the less.

The concept was pretty cool but we didn’t find any treasure. What should have took us less than 30 minutes to find (according to our list of guidelines), had my friends and I searching for almost an hour. After the hour, we all just gave up.

I jumped a fence, got all dirty, cracked the screen of my cell phone, didn’t find any treasure, but had the time of my life. I don’t think I could have asked for a more hilarious, intense, interesting, unbelievable night.

We are going to try looking in a different spot for treasure this weekend. If you have nothing to do, and it’s late at night, I greatly encourage you to try this and see what you can get. You definitely won’t regret it. It definitely brought my friends and I closer together because it forced us to act as a team, instead of just a bunch of college kids hanging out and doing nothing with life.

Wish me luck this weekend! HOPEFULLY WE’LL FIND SOMETHING THIS TIME! =)

1 comment:

Josh said...

That's great that you had such a good time and didn't even find anything. Wait until you start finding them then you'll really be hooked! I found my first geocache last December and it's been non stop adventures since then. Have fun and happy caching!

Geocaching With Team Hick@Heart