Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What Greek People Live For

Yesterday marked the first day of Greek Orthodox Lent and I am far from excited. Every year I catch myself getting scolded by all the older women in my family… aunts, grandmothers, even my mother doesn’t approve of my unorthodox means of telling God I appreciate him during this holy time. (In other words, I cheat. I cheat… a lot).

Here is how Orthodox Lent works… for forty days and forty nights you eat nothing but what the church allows you too. Not until 12:00 AM Easter morning, when every Greek in the world goes to church to receive the light of God, which, signifies that Christ has risen from the dead. (I don't remember why he rises, I was terrible in Greek School.)

After that, everyone congratulates each other by saying "Christos-a-nesty" Which literally means "Christ has risen". (Its so pointless to say, because thats what all our burning candles signify but whatever.) After church, around one or two in the morning, our family gets together we eat a lot of lamb. Then, we go to sleep, very full, because our bodies are not used to meat anymore, wake up, go to church again, and eat more lamb later that afternoon, which is Easter day. (There is a little more to it, but that’s the general idea)

This year, I've decided that I’m going to prove I can love Jesus and appreciate his death the way all my little old aunts can. How hard can it be? I am basically just as, if not more stubborn than they are, so why can’t I fast?

This is a list of what I can & cannot eat:

  1. No animal that has blood. This includes steak, chicken, certain fish, milk, butter, eggs, etc. oh, and sometimes olive oil and wine. (Which means I cant have certain kinds of pasta either.)
  2. I can eat shellfish though. But only four days a week. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are completely meatless.
  3. Thank you, Archdioceses, for letting me at least eat vegetables, because everyone knows, kids love vegetables.
  4. I can drink Iced Tea and Water. I am also allowed to drink diet soda, but I am not a huge fan so I am evermore limited on my choices.
  5. Bread I can eat, because the Bible mentions that a lot so it must have been a favorite of our Lord? So because I can eat bread, I can eat some kinds of pasta and rice.

Today marks day two. There is only thirty-eight more full days to go. This should be fun... don't you agree? =)

No comments: