Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I THOUGHT this was college?

I thought i was in college but i guess I'm not. As i was smoking a cigarette after class i heard a group of small, insignificant, high pitch voices using my name along with a few other unmentionable words behind a wall near where i was standing.

They called me everything i am NOT including "weird". I had no idea who these girls could have been because i don't really talk to girls (for reasons such as this). Not that all this bothered me too much, actually after about two minutes or so i popped out from behind the wall and gave them a really big smile. (That shut them up fast), but it got me wondering...

What really constitutes weird? is that i don't fit in with your life long dream of participating in Staten island Greek life? or that i don't speak with a city accent? maybe its because i don't dress in gaudy, inappropriate ways? or die my hair out of a bottle?

I found it funny because if they came to long island, the majority of people there would find THEM generally unattractive. They would be the ones who "didn't take care of" themselves... the judged ones. I wonder how that would make them feel?

and you know, i got the idea that they understand I'm not from here because they were trying to recall where i am from. They obviously have been on Staten Island all there lives and couldn't imagine how it must feel to be new. Within the past 4 years I've been in the new girl at a school three times, and now that i came to college its just the same thing, not as extreme but basically the same thing

Its interesting because all this proves how different people are in different places. Where I'm from, i'm not weird at all i'm just like everyone else, (probably slightly more intelligent though, i guess you could compare long island teenagers to those idiots from that movie Clueless. Thats what they speak like, those accents).

Anyway, society needs to get a grip on what really defines normality. but it doesn't matter to me because i know who i am and i don't need to compare myself to other people in order to make myself feel important in this life. =)

No comments: