Monday, April 14, 2008

It Was Strange

The other night I was feeling a little stressed. As I was playing with my hamster on my bed and watching Breakfast at Tiffany's (my favorite movie of all time) I kind of, sort of, might have began to tear. It wasn’t anything extreme it’s just that there is a lot going on right now with me personally and I don't know, I guess it was a way for my body to react to the stress. It was only for like five minutes anyway, I'm not really the crying type.

Anyway when that happened, my hamster stopped running and jumping and sniffing and doing hamster things and crawled up from the palm of my hands, and lay closer to my face. Then he put his little head down on my neck and just looked at me.

This might sound weird or even crazy but I felt like he almost could sense something was wrong. But then when my little moment was over I picked him up and smiled at him and then he was fine again.

The whole ordeal kind of freaked me out a little bit. I mean, I can understand a dog doing that, or a cat (you know a more intelligent animal) but a hamster? I wouldn't dream of it. On top of it, I’ve only had Khai for about two or three months now.


Since then, Khai sleeps on the side of his cage closer to my bed, and is a little bit more friendly (not that he isn't friendly already, but now he's easier to handle and stuff).

I started wondering if there is a greater bond between humans and animals that we take for granted. Maybe certain animals are just so loyal to their owners that they learn how to sense moods. If that is the case and I’m not just dreaming all this up, I’m lucky to have an animal that loyal, or that intelligent.

No comments: